Dr. S. Francis, Assistant Professor,
Department of Physics
Mannar Thirumalai Naicker College,
Pasumalai, Maduari – 625 004
Growth, crystallographic, structural, physical, magnetic characterization of oxide based dilute magnetic semiconductors (DMS)
Date of Regis: 28.12.2005 Reg. No. 3530 Viva-Voce date: 04.08.2014
This research work reports on the preparation and characterization of some ZnO based diluted magnetic semiconductors (DMS) materials and compares the effects of doping of transition metal ions with various concentration, on the growth, structural, electron density, magnetic and optical properties. Transition metals Mn, Cr, Co and (Co, Mn) co-doped ZnO powder with different dopant concentrations have been successfully synthesized by a standard high temperature solid state reaction technique. Also, Mg doped ZnO nano powder has been synthesized using the sol-gel technique with different doping level. The structures have been analyzed from X-ray powder diffraction technique through Rietveld fitting method. The charge density analysis has been carried out with maximum entropy method, magnetic properties by analyzing hysteresis curves obtained from vibrating sample magnetometer and optical study by UV visible spectrum.The results suggest that the doping causes changes in lattice parameters and other physical parameters.
List of publications:
- Doping level of Mn in high temperature grown Zn1−xMnxO studied through electronic charge distribution, magnetization and local structureR. Saravanan, S. Francis and L. John Berchmans, Chemical Papers, 66, 3 (2012) 226-234, 10.2478/s11696-011-0129-8. Impact Factor : 0.89
- Phase analysis in Zn1-xCrxO through charge density, S. Francis, R. Saravanan and L.J. Berchmans, Phase Transitions, 86, 6 (2012) 620-632, 10.1080/01411594.2012.713485. Impact Factor : 0.998
- Effect of Co Doping on the properties of ZnO Bulk Samples, S. Francis, R. Saravanan & L. John Berchmans, Journal of Electronic Materials, 42, 4 (2013) 701–710, 10.1007/s11664-012-2394-x Impact Factor : 1.675
- High temperature growth, charge distribution and magnetism in Co and Mn co-doped ZnO, S. Francis, R. Saravanan& L. John Berchmans, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 24, 8 (2013) 2880-2889, 10.1007/s10854-013-1186-2. Impact Factor : 2.195
- Solubility limit of sol-gel grown nano Zn1-xMgxO through charge density distribution, S. Francis, R. Saravanan and M. Açıkgöz, ZeitschriftfuerNaturforschung, 68 a, (2013) 668 – 676, 10.5560/ZNA.2013-0043. Impact Factor : 0.998
- The effect of chemical composition of molten flux in the structural evolution of CeVO4, M. Gowri, G. Sathya, L. John Berchmans, R. Sangeetha, S. Francis and A. Lakshmi, The Mannar Scroll, 4 (2017) 175 – 184.
- Preparation of cerium tungstate by molten salt technique, M. Gowri, G. Sathya, S. Francis, S.S. Jayabalakrishnan, P. Kavitha and L. John Berchmans, The Mannar Scroll, 4 (2017) 185 – 196.
- Charge density in high temperature grown Zn1-xFexO powder, S. Francis, L. John Berchmans and R. Sangeetha, The Mannar Scroll, 5 (2017) 119 – 124, 2321-788X.
Ongoing Minor Research Project:
(Funded by Mannar Thirumalai Naicker College Management)
Preparation and Characterization of Novel Oxide Materials for Energy and Environmental Application