PG and Research Department of Physics, Thiagarajar College of Arts and science, Teppakulam, Madurai-625 009, Mobile: 94898 65653, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr.N.Srinivasan (Supervisor) PG and Research Department of Physics Thiagarajar College of Arts and science Teppakulam, Madurai-625 009
OXIDE BASED DILUTE MAGNETIC MATERIALS
Date of Registration : 03/10/2011 Registration no. : F8754 Date of Submission of Thesis: 23/12/2022 Date of viva voce examination :
About Ph.D. Work
O-DMS (Oxide based DMS) materials have created interest due to the possibility of inducing room temperature ferromagnetism. O-DMS materials are essential materials in spintronic devices. The study of local structural fluctuation and electron density distribution may help in imminent understanding the nature of bonding and charge transfer etc. The results of localized structure of the material with varying dopant concentration may pave way for new spintronic devices. The main objective of this work is to investigate the growth, physical and X-ray characterization of samples having room temperature ferromagnetism and semiconducting properties. The growth of ZnO doped with transition metals like V, Ni, Fe and Ti and mixed systems (possibility of RT FM) has been accomplished. Melt growth technique has been used. Solid state reaction technique offers several advantages such as low cost, easy controlling of the total dopant amounts, and facility of producing bulk amounts of materials. The growth has been accomplished using a well-planned temperature control programme. The quality of the grown samples have been checked by X-ray methods. The impurity levels have been estimated using SEM/EDAX (Energy Dispersive Analysis of X-rays). Powder X-ray data – to study structural changes have been used to determine the compositions of the dopant atoms. The magnetic susceptibility measurements, M Vs H, M Vs T to analyze the AFM, FM transitions have been done. Optical band gap studies have been undertaken in-order to measure the optical properties of ZnO.
Materials of interest:
Zinc oxide, semiconductors, transition metal ions
- Zn1-xTixO (x=0.02, 0.03)
- Zn1-xFexO (x = 0.02, 0.04, 0.06)
- Zn1-xVxO (x=0.02, 0.04, 0.06)
- Zn1-xNix/2Vx/2O (x=0.02, 0.04, 0.06)
Journal Publications: International: 4; National: Nil Conference/Seminar : 3 Status: Work completed List of Publications:
1. Structure of vanadium doped zinc oxide, Zn1-xVxO, T.Akilan, N. Srinivasan, R. Saravanan, Prasanta Chowdury, Materials and Manufacturing process, 29:7, 780-788 (2014) Taylor & Francis, (Impact Factor: 4.616) https://DOI.org/10.1080/10426914.2014.8804592. 2. Structure analysis of Ni and V co- doped zinc oxide prepared by solid state reactions, T. Akilan, N. Srinivasan, R. Saravanan Journal of material science : Materials in electronics, 25,2898–2904(2014) (Springer Publications) (Impact Factor: 2.478) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-014-1957-4 3. Magnetic and optical properties of Ti doped ZnO prepared by solid state reaction, T. Akilan, N. Srinivasan, R. Saravanan Material science in semiconductor processing, 30, 381 - 187(2015) (Elseveir Publication) (Impact Factor: 3.927) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mssp.2014.10.025 4. Structural and magnetic studies on Fe doped zinc oxide, Zn1-XFexO synthesized by solid state reaction, T. Akilan, N. Srinivasan, R. Saravanan, Journal of material science : Materials in electronics, 26,9882–9890(2015) (Springer Publications) (Impact Factor: 2.478) https://DOI.org/10.1007/s10854-015-3664-1
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars, etc.
1. International Conference on Recent Trends in Advanced Materials – Oral Presentation held at VIT University, Vellore during 20-22, February, 2012, T. Akilan, N. Srinivasan., R. Saravanan 2. International conference on Advanced Materials, Processing and Devices held on 15-16, July, 2013 at the department of Material Science, Madurai Kamaraj Univeristy, Madurai, T. Akilan, N. Srinivasan., R. Saravanan 3. International Conference and workshop on Nanostructure ceramics and other nano materials held on 13-16, at New Delhi, March, 2012 – Abstract has been published, T.Akilan , N. Srinivasan, R. Saravanan